There's a lot to love about summer, from the long warm days to the natural beauty of the beach; but anyone who's spent a lot of time outside during the season knows there's one big drawback: the bug bites. Swarming insects can turn a nice day outside into an itchy, frustrating mess that sends even the most enthusiastic outdoorsman searching for cover—and lotions only do so much. The good news is, mosquito traps are getting more efficient by the year, and the best mosquito traps will keep you itch-free as you enjoy the outdoors.
Mosquito traps are essential to staying safe and comfortable outside because mosquitoes aren't just pests; they can carry diseases like West Nile Virus and spread it to the people they bite. A solution that will keep you and your family safe is a trap that mimics the smell of the sweat and carbon dioxide that attracts these pests. The best mosquito traps are portable and can be taken with you on camping trips or placed outdoors when you're enjoying the backyard during dusk.
There's no shortage of products offering relief from mosquitos, and many are little more than placebos, promising to keep mosquitos away but not packing much of a punch. The best mosquito traps not only keep mosquitos from biting you, but they also reduce the overall population of mosquitos in the area and keep them from proliferating. Here at Effective Wildlife Solutions, we've put together a list of the ten best mosquito traps on the market today, so read on and find the best mosquito trap to make the outdoors enjoyable again.
Best Mosquito Traps FAQs
Before we move on to our list of the best mosquito traps, we will take a moment to answer some frequently asked questions.
1. What Is a Mosquito Trap and How Does It Work?
A mosquito trap is a tool that attracts mosquitos through scents that mimic the smells they're attracted to on the creatures they bite—including humans. Some also use lights and sounds to draw in mosquitos.
2. What Power Sources Do the Best Mosquito Traps Use?
The best mosquito traps use batteries or plug-in power to operate their scent, sound, and light generators.
3. Are the Best Mosquito Traps Safe to Use?
Yes, the ten mosquito traps on this list are safe to use in a standard outlet and don't use open flames or volatile chemicals.
4. Are the Best Mosquito Traps Able to Run Outside the Home?
There are both indoor and outdoor traps, with the outdoor traps commonly running on batteries or generator power, ideal for camping trips.
5. Where Can I Buy the Best Mosquito Traps?
The ten mosquito traps on this list are available on Amazon or at major houseware stores like Home Depot. You will also find a selection at big-box stores in the summer and at camping supply stores.
How We Reviewed
The following list of the ten best mosquito traps was reviewed based on the following parameters: affordability, durability, power source and lifespan, the effectiveness of repelling mosquitos, safety, ease of cleaning, area scent, and warranty.
Overall Price Range
The ten mosquito traps on this list range in price from $10 to $100, with one model meant for industrial use coming in at just under $900. The most expensive models offer powerful performance and are suitable for both indoor and outdoor use.
What We Reviewed
- NONPEST Mosquito Killer
- Bug Zapper, Electronic Mosquito Killer, USB Powered Insect Trap Lamp
- Hoont Indoor/Outdoor 3-Way Mosquito and Fly Trap
- Flowtron BK-15D Electronic Insect Killer
- DynaTrap Flylight Indoor Insect Trap
- Mega-Catch Pro 900 Ultra Mosquito Trap
- DynaTrap DT150 Ultralight Insect Trap
- HAUSBELL Nontoxic Flying Insect Trap
- Viatek Products Mini Mosquito Trap
- Stinger Indoor & Outdoor Insect Killer Combo
- EFFECTIVE MOSQUITO KILLER: RockBirds Mosquito Trap works more effective with MOSQUITO ATTRACTANT (NOT INCLUDED),you can...
- SAFE AND HEALTHY- It is safe for humans and pets, it is no smell, safety and environmental protection, which prevents...
- SILENT NIGHT LIGHT- The intensity of it is about 40 decibels, which will not disturb your sleep and the nice-looking...
This low-cost, easy-to-use mosquito killer is powered by a USB drive and is free of odors, poisons, and chemicals, instead using 365NM purple light that attracts mosquitos and lures them into the powerful fan. The fan then pulls the mosquitos into the chamber where they're trapped and dehydrated until you don't have to worry about them. The integrated mosquito box is rust-proof, durable, and can easily be removed for cleaning.
This trap can be added to any device with a USB port, including a computer, eliminating the need for a power source. It weighs in at only 1.3 pounds, making it perfect for a camping trip.
This trap comes with a 12-month manufacturer's warranty.
- Safest Mosquito Killer - This Electric Bug Zapper attracts all Mosquito into the fly zapper by UV LED Lamp. 100% physics...
- Effective Insect Killer Lamp - The UV LED lamp emits 365nm wavelength that mosquitoes love, inducing mosquitoes to...
- Easy To Use - You can connect this mosquito killer with an adapter, power bank, computer or any device with a USB port....
This USB-powered insect killer uses eight powerful LED bulbs to attract mosquitos and other insects in a 360-degree angle, which then lures them into a spinning fan that traps them in a chamber. This device doesn't use any powerful electricity like common bug zappers, and it doesn't contribute to light or odor pollution, making it one of the safest to use. It's an energy-saving device that comes in at only 13 ounces, making it a perfect portable choice for your bedroom or backyard patio.
This is one of the best low-maintenance bug killers on the market, only needing regular cleaning of the mosquito chamber which can be opened with a single button.
Effective for both indoor and outdoor pest control, this high-end model from Hoont uses a bright UV bulb to attract insects before using a powerful fan to suck them into a chamber that traps and dehydrates them. Effective for mosquitos along with larger pests like gnats and wasps, it doesn't have any high-voltage features and is much quieter than traditional bug zappers. It's a waterproof, weatherproof device that can be used indoors or outdoors in residential or public settings.
This model is easy to clean by opening the bottom trap and emptying the dead insects. It uses lower energy than bug zappers and can be plugged into every major power source.
This trap comes with a one-year warranty for product defects.
- High efficiency, non-clogging killing grid, Easy bulb replacement .
- Rugged, weatherproof construction; will not rust, crack or fade
- Operates for only pennies a day
A traditional hanging mosquito control device, this mid-priced Flowtron model eschews the classic high-voltage bug zapper model and uses nontoxic ultraviolet light. This is a safer option than electricity or chemical-based models, and it comes with an anti-clogging grid and an attached plug that works with any major electric outlet. The device offers a twenty-five-square-foot radius, and it's recommended that people should not gather within that radius to avoid negative effects.
This device uses octenol cartridges, and it is recommended to replace the cartridge every month. Weighing in at just over four pounds, it's a powerful outdoor option that will keep a campground free of pesky bugs.
This trap comes with a two-year limited warranty.
- Plug-in trap protects your family and pets from flying insects that can carry and spread disease
- AtraktaGlo technology uses warm UV light to attract flying insects
- Non-toxic StickyTech Glue Card discreetly traps insects behind the decorative cover
You won't encounter as many mosquitos inside as you will outside, but those that get into your peaceful home can be even more annoying; nothing ruins a good night's sleep like a single mosquito buzzing by your ear. That's why the DynaTrap Flylight is an effective option, as this plug-in trap works in every electrical outlet and can cover an area up to six-hundred square feet. It uses a UV light to draw in the insect, and the enclosed non-toxic glue card traps them where they die. The device comes with three replacement glue cards and an extra AC unit on the side to free up outlet space.
This trap comes with a one-year limited warranty.
- Kill mosquitoes, midges and more with the multi-stimuli, human-mimicking ULTRA Mosquito Trap
- Smart technology includes Mosquito-Attracting-Stimuli (MAS) settings which allows the ULTRA to be fine tuned to target...
- Comes fully assembled with programmable multi-function timer, the ULTRA is DIY self-serviceable with on-board...
This is a heavy-duty model ideal for camping trips, and its high price point is justified by the way it mimics human behavior to trap and kill mosquitos. It uses a trademarked system titled MAS for Mosquito Attracting Stimuli, and the smart technology analyzes the species of mosquito in the area and targets them specifically.
This is a system designed to permanently reduce the mosquito population in the area and is popular with farmers and municipalities who place several models in a targeted area. Over six to eight weeks, it'll reduce the local mosquito population dramatically using its CO2 gas attractant system. The CO2 canister is sold separately.
This trap comes with a one-year limited warranty.
If you're looking for an all-natural insect trap free of pesticides and that doesn't add any odors to the area, this model is an ideal choice and is also one of the quietest models. With no zapping, no high voltage, and no expensive attractant scents, it's a budget-friendly model from a trusted company that covers an area of up to three-hundred square feet in protected outdoor areas.
It uses a three-way system of carbon dioxide, ultraviolet light, and a near-silent fan to lure mosquitos in and trap them in a screened base where they dehydrate. It comes with a UV bulb that is designed to work for 20,000 hours, but the bulb cannot be replaced if it breaks.
This trap comes with a one-year limited warranty.
- Eco-friendly: The mosquito trap killer works great with mosquito attractant (Not included). You can simply buy and put...
- 360 Degrees all-around suction: Mosquitoes or any insects from any direction attracted by led light will be sucked into...
- Tips: How to Use it to the Best Effect---Make Sure you use it in the dark and closed place and put the mosquito...
One of the safest options on the market, this HAUSBELL model is free of chemicals, odors, and toxins to ensure it's safe for use around humans and won't irritate any lungs due to allergens. Recommended for use in an empty and unlit room, it's ideal for nighttime where the external light won't interfere with the bluish light. An automatic activation feature lets you turn it on at dusk and off at dawn without touching it, and it works best between five and seven feet above the ground. The combination of a light attractor and a powerful but quiet fan makes it highly effective for eliminating annoying insects around your house.
This trap comes with a limited lifetime warranty for product defects.
- Insects are lured into the trap with a high intensity, no-txxic ultraviolet light, then fall into the collection chamber...
- Safe, non-toxic method of insect control
- The ti02 helps generate the co2 to attract insests
This is a safe and non-toxic portable mosquito trap, weighing in at just over a pound and attracting mosquitos with a combination of high-intensity ultraviolet light and carbon dioxide emissions. The mosquitos aren't zapped or killed directly with this model, meaning no nasty smell of burning bugs. Instead, they're lured in with a fan and trapped where they dehydrate and die in a small chamber. Ideal for indoor use or portable for moving around the house, this is one of the simplest and safest options for enclosed areas like bedrooms.
This trap comes with a one-year limited warranty for product defects.
- Stinger total home defense kit, Bonus replacement light bulbs included
- Two separate units, one for indoors and one for outdoors
- Lures and traps flying insects, Attracting range up to 1/2 acre
If you need protection from insects for both indoor and outdoor use—like if you live in a humid area in the south where they're a constant hassle—this two-in-one option will solve all your problems. An environmentally friendly option that avoids harsh and toxic chemicals, it uses UV white light to attract the mosquitos with a replaceable bulb. A powerful fan that only emits a light humming sound then draws the mosquitos in and traps them in a dehydrating drawer that is easy to clean.
The indoor model plugs into any local outlet and is ideal for bedrooms. The more powerful outdoor model is designed to hang from a fixture several feet above the ground.
This trap comes with a three-year limited warranty for product defects.
All ten mosquito traps on this list delivered solid performance, using non-toxic tools to attract mosquitos, most commonly a combination of CO2 emissions and ultraviolet light. The most powerful model, the Mega-Catch Pro, is ideal for industrial use but not a good choice for private use because of its high price tag. From the remaining eight, we were most impressed with a model that delivered solid performance with a low price point and the versatility to take on larger insects. We give our endorsement to the Hoont Indoor/Outdoor 3-Way Mosquito and Fly Trap as the best mosquito trap on the market today.